Thanks to krisalex333 for including me in the Liebster Awards. The Liebster Awards are a chain of blogposts that introduce readers to new blogs and let us all get to know one another a little better. Below I include the rules, my answers to krisalex333’s 11 questions, 11 facts about me, and my own nominees and questions.
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog, by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, which have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Create a new list of questions for the bloggers to answer.
- Copy & paste these rules in your post. Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award.
- Provide a link to this post so that they can learn about it.
- Why do you blog? I blog because I have very little in-person contact with the trans community. I have no close trans friends and only occasionally seek out trans-focused spaces. I move through the world every day as a transsexual man, but few people in my life know it. Blogging gives me an outlet for my observations and experiences as a trans man. I especially hope to reach folks who are struggling with being transgender and perhaps share some information, encouragement and hope.
- On whom did you have your first crush? I have had crushes for as long as I can remember, so it’s difficult to pick a first. I remember the girls I had crushes on in preschool (Zoe, Esther, Abby…), but I guess that doesn’t count. I vividly remember a passionate crush on a friend in the 8th grade, which prompted me to come out as liking girls. Sadly it was not reciprocated. At all. Haha.
- What was your favorite subject at school and why? Art. I loved (and still love) the tranquil productivity of being totally immersed in a project. I think I also liked the opportunity to work alone, being creative without any social stresses. The school I attended in grades 7-12 had tons of art classes. I took about five years of photography there (darkroom variety)–it was awesome.
- Would you like to have a space flight? Hell yes. I used to think I would never want to go to space, but I recently changed my mind. If I ever got the opportunity to see Planet Earth from space, I would take it. I would be terrified, but the chance would be too amazing to miss.
- Any phobias? Heights. I get vertigo on bridges. See aforementioned space-flight terror.
- Are you superstitious? I intended to say no, but quickly realized the honest answer is yes. I have charms in my house to ward off the Evil Eye.
- What is your favorite sport to play or watch? I hate sports. All sports. I do not play them, I do not watch them.
- Do you have a role model? If so, who? My dad is probably my main role model. But I have a lot of role models, who embody different qualities to which I aspire.
- What is your most productive time of day? Mid-morning, fully caffeinated, not yet hungry for lunch.
- Do you have any tattoos? Yes, six of them. I want more, many more.
- City or county life? City at the moment. I think I’d like to have a more pastoral existence in the future. Then again, I really like the urban/rural balance where I currently live–I live in a city, but drive 20 minutes in any direction, and you’ll find mountains, deserts, farmland, hiking trails, camping spots, etc.
11 Random Facts About RP
- I’m a vegetarian.
- I live in the Land of Enchantment. Major points if I you know where I mean without a Google search.
- Two of my tattoos are homemade stick-and-pokes.
- My favorite band is Neutral Milk Hotel. I don’t listen to them very often these days, but I recently saw them live, which was really a dream come true.
- My current favorite book of the Torah is Ecclesiastes. I am obsessed with Ecclesiastes. I have even quoted it here on Today I Am A Man (1, 2).
- The farthest I’ve ever been from home is Negros Oriental, the Philippines.
- I have two dogs, a heeler and a pit mix.
- I majored in American Studies. If you have no idea what that is, you’re not alone.
- I love spicy food.
- I have recently become obsessed with bonsai trees.
- I meditate every day. Almost.
Nominees, answer these questions in your Liebster post:
- Why do you blog?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Why?
- What work (book, film, music) has most influenced your worldview? Pick a few if you can’t narrow it to one.
- What is your favorite food?
- What was your first job?
- What was the first concert you attended (of your own volition)?
- Besides blogging, how do you spend your free time?
- What chore or errand do you dislike the most?
- Where are you while writing this post?
- Describe one of the strangest experiences you’ve ever had.
- What is the secret of life? According to you, of course.
All readers should feel free to answer any of these questions in the comments, just for fun.